Saturday, July 02, 2005

Happy Indepedence Day!!!

Yes, I know. I am not losing my mind nor have I completely lost track of all sense from living abroad. I am quite aware that today is only July 2nd, not the 4th! However, being that I am in a foreign country, many particulars are out of my control. One such particular being that the American Independence Day Celebration was held today, July 2nd - not the 4th. So, in a way you could say that the 4th of July came early for us down here, but only in a manner of speaking. For we all know that longitude, not latitude, is the basis for our time and date changes, therefore it is indeed Tulsa that will truly behold the 4th of July a whole hour before San Jose, Costa Rica. However, now that I have exhausted this subject of particularly annoying overanalysis, I shall move onto the actual point of my mentioning the date to begin with. The point is:
WE HAD A BIG PARTY FULL OF GRINGOS!!!!!! :)
Yes, indeed, it is true. We had a splendid party, or picnic, that was free to all Gringos...I mean Americans, simply by showing your passport. The picnic was not at the American Embassy (sadly enough - I had hoped for it to be there) but instead in a park across town. (It cost us quite a bit to get there by taxi...but luckily the party and all it's food was FREE. What food, you may ask...were we to be served local favorites like arroz con pollo or gallo pinto? By No Means!!! HOT DOGS, ladies and gentlemen: real, American HOT DOGS...and all you could eat at that. There was also cotton candy, frozen yogurt from TCBY, and...though I did not partake...an overabundance of beer. But it was quite a fun day...I went with some friends and had an absolute blast.
Elizabeth and I even got our picture taken with a Marine!!! I don't know how he survived in those dress blues...it was HOT...okay, maybe not Tulsa hot, but still HOT. In fact, my shoulders are quite pink right now from just the morning in the sun. Anywho, back to this lovely picture of us with the Marine... :) Ahh...it was fun. We got to talk a little to him and he even told me that there is a Marine ball in November that is a lot of fun to go to. Hmmm...that may be worth a try. :) Any reason to get a dress, eh?
So, anyway, there was a short program at the picnic where they presented the flag, then played the anthem of Costa Rica, then they played the US anthem as they raised the flag. It was so different, realizing I was on foreign soil and feeling the tingle that goes up your spine as you stare at your flag and feel that loyalty and belonging spring out of your heart. Quite an amazing feeling. Then we said the pledge of allegiance. It was a nice day.
I enjoyed the day thoroughly, listening to patriotic songs at home and even painting my fingernails in a pattern of red, white and blue!!!! Not flags...sorry Kathryn. So, yeah, I enjoyed my 4th of July early. It was only lacking fireworks...the picnic was only in the morning becuase there is always rain in the afternoon. Perhaps I will yet find some fireworks before the weekend is through...but I feel that watching them on TV may be my best bet.
I hope that each of you have a wonderful holiday weekend and take time to thank God for being so blessed as to be born in America. I know that our country has problems, and right now is not necessarily looked upon highly by many other countries in the world...but as I looked around San Jose today, I became so thankful to be born in the US. Yo soy estadounidense...I am an American, and I am proud and so grateful for that heritage. When you see people laying along the sidewalk sleeping on a pile of trash in the middle of the capital city....it makes you see. Life is so different here...so much harder...so many people have to work all day every day to barely make the $200/month income which is the average here. So, when you light those fireworks, see that flag raised high, or hear the words "I'm proud to be an American...." remember that there is a world out there full of people struggling to get by... many of them lost, without a saving knowledge of Christ. Thank God that you are where you are today. Thank God for his mercy that saves and can wipe away the pain this world holds. And thank God that he has a hope and a plan for all people. Ezekiel 18:23 & 32 both are great passages that show the desperate nature of God for his people...all the people of the earth. 23 - "Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I no pleased when they turn from their ways and live?" 32 - "For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!" I don't know about you, but I am thankful for a God that not only loved me enough to give up his son for me. But I am thankful for a God who will forgive any sin and desires to welcome every man and woman on earth into his arms of love and forgiveness. Into himself!!! I am proud to be a Christian and to help take the light of Christ to every lost soul. :)
Wow, what true indepedence is in Christ!
Have a great Independence Day and remember to be Thankful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you all and miss you,
Jennifer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home