A Sad Sad Night
After the impossible became possible two weeks earlier, I began to think that anything in the world could happen. I mean, it's not everyday that the beloved (though not always successful) team of the most amazing and revered youth pastor - yes, indeed, of Broc Jahnke - actually makes it to the Superbowl!! The first time EVER!!! It blew me away. This completely shattered all my previous understandings and conceptions of life and what is expected...and yet it filled me with strange excitement and hope. Perhaps they could win! Perhaps the impossible could really be possible!!!!!
Although I feared I would not be able to view this historic event live, it turned out that one of the missionary families decided to have a big party in order to preserve some cultural relevance (at least that was our excuse!). So, we all came together and amazingly enough a majority of the fans present were rooting for the Seahawks. YAY, GO SEAHAWKS!!! Here's a picture of the hilarious sight of us watching the game:
Of course, the sad truth of the night brought itself to light and many of us were sorely disappointed when the Seahawks did not win. It was a sad sad night...for although the once so distant possibility of the Seahawks ever winning a Superbowl seemed but a dream...the hope that was fostered by their nearness to victory only made the loss all the harder to bear. And upon every advance or little victory by the Steelers, my mind turned to Broc. For it is true, I did not want the Seahawks to win just for their talent or for their merit or even at all for themselves...I wanted them to win for Broc. Nothing more. To me, there was no greater reason for them to win but to help prove Broc right and redeem his many years of loyal faithfulness. Alas, they shall have to fight again and perhaps another year they will finally reward a most devoted fan with the right to brag about his favorite team...and their Superbowl championship. One interesting aspect of our Superbowl experience was that the first quarter and half of the second we viewed the game in Spanish. Our cable allowed us to wire in the ESPN Sports Channel from Mexico, so the broadcasting was in spanish. Luckily, however, we were able to adjust things and finally got some English announcing going on before half-time came around. I know that for most of my companions it made little difference, but I was very thankful to be able to understand the speakers in English...and it made the game so much more interesting for me. The worst part of watching through Mexico's ESPN Sports center was that the commercials being aired were not the amazing SUPERBOWL commercials that are so popular. In fact, it was everyday, run-of-the-mill commercials. When we all realized there would be no hilarious commercials aired at their most expensive price, we were a little disappointed. Until I got home last night and realized that you can watch them all online! Woohoo!!! So, after a little bit of time, all things are being made to rights. If only I could find a way to go back and change that final score though. :) Just kidding....maybe.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home